Regal Prom…Any one? Michelle O- Inspired Prom Dress (PART I)


This story will be broken down into two parts, Construction and Candid dress Photos

Long time, no see! It is officially Prom Day for my daughter (well yesterday), her Senior Prom. So as she dances the night away (hopefully she is dancing) I figure I would take to my blog, to finally blog about her dress. I’m so happy with the outcome, but it was surely a journey.

Prom in itself, has taken on a whole new meaning, and while I won’t go down that route. As a mother I sometimes have to say no, nope, nah, however you want to say no. So me and my daughter, went back and forth. So I was scrolling on instagram, and came across a dress, and I sent it to my daughter. Thinking she would not like it, and guess what?! She loved it!!! Asked for it and black, with flowers.

So I took of searching for this fabric, I knew I needed a border print, I contacted promenade fabrics,  I sent them a email with the photo and asked if they had anything similar big floral print, in black. They sent me a photo back. It was beautiful, they only had 5 yards left. And it was the most expensive fabric I had ever bought a yard.

So I took to Etsy to find a skirt pattern, I thought I had one in Vogue, once I went to the store, I wasn’t to sure, so I settled on Butterick 4131. I came home ordered the last 5 yards and waited patiently for my fabric.

Once my fabric arrived, I was so excited open it and laid it out and was in love. I received my Butterick pattern in the mail, I cut it out, open up the placement instructions. And thought hmmmm wait a minute. I go back to my fabric. And guess what its not a border print, well maybe it is considered a border print but not what I needed. PANIC sets in. What am I going to do, if I cut it like the pattern requires, my flowers will not match, the black background will be all over, and it will look a mess. So I said cut it on the bias. I took my time, lined up the pattern pieces on my floor. Prayed hard pin the pattern pieces checked the order side, to see where the cut line would fall, and I went for it. And guess what it worked!  The only changes I did was added pockets to the skirt

NOW the bodice, pull up a chair…

I started with New Look 6497, which would have been perfect. New Look Pattern 6497 Misses' Dress with Bodice and Length Variations

It was looking good, until I got to part where I was to attach the shoulder seams. I was working with a satin, a little to fluid, It wasn’t working right. So I scrapped it.

1st Failed Bodice

For me to make it work with the satin, I needed to cut the shoulder seams thinner so when I folded one over to put the other seam in, it wouldn’t have the access fabric. I tried to cut some of the seam but it still didn’t look NEAT!

So I scratched, now my daughter really wanted that style so I went and got Simplicity 1325, which is made for a knit. Should I stop here, nope, well I cut that out, now before I cut that out, I sent my daughter three bodice tops, she said she liked the first one (the failed New Look 6497)

SO I figured Simplicity could give me the same look, well it didn’t, right in the middle of the bodice to much fabric tried to fold it over, like a pleat, didn’t look POLISH to me so I scrapped it.

Second Failed Bodice

Simplicity Pattern 1325 Misses' Pants, Jumper or Tunic, Jacket & Top

I go back to one of the choices I showed my daughter McCall 7316, AT THIS POINT I SAID I KNOW BEST
I cut it out, upon cutting it out I notice the princess seams lines are wrong, the smallest size is on the outside, the 14, is the inner most size. My daughter measures a 33 bust. I’m not a rocket scientist but going outward means bigger.

So I asked in one of the sewing groups what to cut. Mixed answers, consistently received, it didn’t matter make sure the notches match up. so I check the 14 line and the 6 line the notches did  no match up to the front bodice piece.

My cutting and pasting, 

I said McCall 7316 Will work

McCall 7316

McCall 7316

McCall 7316

So I cut the smallest size, and made my own notches. It sewed together perfectly. However, the inset was sized wrong end up taking two inches off. The pattern pieces notches didn’t match up. But I finally got a nice bodice, attached it to the skirt, insert zipper, added trim, added horsehair braid to the hem. AND FINALLY FINISHED DRESS!! Finished on a Thursday PROM on SATURDAY!!!

My inside is not as clean as I would like, my serger broke down on me but its fairly neet.

Below Photos of the process

Fabric Straight Out the Box

Pattern Placement

Pattern Placement

Front pieces Cut Butterick 4131

Back pieces Cut Butterick 4131


Pockets Attached

Pockets Finished

Dress Flipagram



Leave a comment

  1. May 8, 2017 / 12:42 am

    It turned out absolutely perfect! Brava for tackling the PROM DRESS!

    Just gorgeous.

  2. June 21, 2017 / 3:22 am

    Way to go! Beautiful dress!

  3. September 13, 2017 / 3:22 pm

    Absolutely stunning, and an interesting journey! My daughter wouldn't let me maker dress this year, but maybe next year…she'd love this one you made.

  4. Anonymous
    January 18, 2018 / 4:36 am

    Great dress!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *