I am back from the vacation, and I had plans for this evening, so I wanted to make something quick and easy.
I thought about McCall’s 7688 View E.
I pulled out a few sweater knits, and decided on this houndstooth, from Fabric Mart. I have been holding on this since probably 2014. I wanted some pants, out of it, but all the patterns I wanted to use, needed more than the 2 yards I had. So it has sat and sat. But today I cut this baby up.
Now I was a little scared because I really didnt want to waste this fabric.
I knew I was taking a risk by changing the neckline but I truly despise the high neckline McCall’s pattern tend to have. I cut out the size Large, and graded to XL for the hips.
I did see a lot of reviews for this pattern, and noted that the bottom was unfinished, some people see to have some stress lines around the bust. And I thought the casing for the front hit the bust spot awkwardly. Maybe because the apex is higher than my bust line.
I made the following changes to this pattern:
1. Changed the neckline to a boat neck, I thought about a scoop neck but wanted a clean look, with the main details being the casing. So I went with a boat neck.
2. I added a half inch at the bust line, on each side, grading to nothing at the at side.
3. Took off a inch on the sleeve near the bottom, each side.
4. Accidentally took of inches off the cuff each side (meant to take off 1/2 inch) So it fits tightly but nicely just have to take my time getting it off.
5. Cut center back seam, to help eliminate some of the excess fabric that hits me midback.
6. Added piping to the shoulder seam, arm seam and cuff seam
7. Added bias binding, to the bottom. added bias binding to casing, used faux leather for casing.
8. Move casing down 1 inch
This is View E of course, I thought about making this with the hood, but I wanted a more polish look so I went with the boat-neckline.
I think that’s it. I love it. I was planning on going somewhere tonight but my plans got cancelled, so maybe I will get to wear it in a week or two.
PS: I didn’t gain any weight on my vacation, lol.
|McCalls 7688/M7688 View E Modified|
|McCalls 7688/M7688 Neckline modification|
|McCall’s 7688/M7688 View E Piping details|
|McCall’s 7688 piping on the cuff|
|McCalls 7688/M7688 Casing|
|McCall’s 7688/M7688 Ribbon casing|