Happy Tuesday

So you know how you have that project that just doesn’t go as plan. Last summer I had this beautiful fabric, I had picked up from Fabric Mart. I knew I wanted something that flows and long. So I tried this Butterick pattern, it was horrible. Butterick 6051, I think my attempt to mix views is where I went wrong.

So I acknowledge the fail project, and saved the fabric to unpick. I knew the skirt I would be able to use to make something that didn’t need a lot of fabric. Someone posted Simplicity 8383 on Instagram and I was in loved, so I went to unpicking. I was able to use the skirt to cut all the pieces but the sleeves. So I cut that out of some white ity knit I had here. I absolutely love the dress, and cant wear to wear it. 

Talk about salvaging fabric! I don’t really worry about failed projects to much because I will salvage the fabric I can and move right along. 

So from a mishap to a YAAYY

Butterick 6051 pattern flop

Simplicity 8383 View A

 Simplicity 8383 View A Front View

Simplicity 8383 View A

 Side View

Simplicity 8383 View A Back View

I always knew I had a twin 

Simplicity 8383 View A

Happy Sunday

I thought I wouldn’t blog about this dress, but since I’m just sitting here I thought why not.

As I continue to row my way along the ocean of fabric, I finally cut into my floral and 
stripe fabric I have been hoarding for about a year or so.

It took me forever to find a similar weight black knit, but a couple weeks ago, Fabric Mart Fabric had a flash and I picked up some black ity knit . When this pattern was released I knew I wanted to make it because I love color blocking. However it was a couple things I was concern with. One was the left piece I was scared it would cut across my right breast. I saw a few sewn up on mannequins that seem to cut across the right breast.

So when I cut the pattern out, I cut off some of the left bodice, to in my opinion compensate for my larger cup. Did I need to cut it off… I’m not sure lol…I think I may have been alright but I didn’t want to take any chances. 

This pattern does use a lot of fabric, and if I make it again it will not be until I get a bigger cutting table, cutting the pieces took a lot of work.

If I make it again, I will take 2 inches off the center back seam, also the pattern is made that the back piece comes over the center shoulder blade. I didn’t realize that so I kept trying to adjust the dress, while wearing. 

It does show cleavage, so I just sewed the front closed a little, I could have cut off some excess on the left pattern piece to give it tighter cross over, but its okay for now.

The pattern itself is easy to sew, the pattern does suggest bias binding for neckline and armholes. I wasn’t to sure if I was applying it right. So I looked up the you tube video for the pattern. And would you believe Mimi G didn’t do the step in the video. She said she was using a heavier knit so she just folded her’s over. That was disappointing, I felt that she should have used a lighter knit, to demonstrate that specific technique. I ended up using stay tape and folded the neckline and armholes in and stitched them down.

This is my second Mimi G for Simplicity pattern, the first one was a bust, but I think this one is a winner. The envelope has a typo of such, it shows three photos they are labeled B B C
The back shows  A B C
But its only two views that can be sewn, not three A and B is the same  

Fabric: Fabric Mart Fabric
Black Poly/Lycra Ity Knit
Ocean Blue/White/Multi Floral/Stripe Print Ity
Fabric used: 5 1/8 yard

Cut 20W graded to 26W I believe for the hips

I took about 100 photos, the only photos I really liked where out takes so those are the one’s I’m posting.

Fabric Mart Fabric

Section I cut off

Simplicity 8291 Bodice pieces 


Simplicity 8291 View C

Simplicity 8291 View C

Happy Saturday

Rowing gently through my sea of fabric. I am still very optimistic I will sew through a lot of fabric this summer. I will try to keep track of the total amount sewn. Lately I’ve been thinking on which direction to take my blog. Technically I’ve been blogging since 2014, Consistently never…lol.

I am still up in the air on where to go with it. I use Instagram, which is 99% sewing. It’s very easy to caption a photo and share it. However the downside is, you don’t really control Instagram. You can have an account today, and its gone tomorrow. Blogging is a little bit more secure, but we have seen some blogs taken down as well. Not as much as social media outlets. I enjoy Instagram because its scrolling, looking, liking, small comments and moving right along. I have come across some marvelous seamstress/tailors who are Russian. And of course not being able to speak the language I cant read the caption, to grasp what they are showing and or techniques. However the craftsmanship is worth a follow.

I want to become more consistent with my blog, but I need more specific goals of what would be shared here, and what will be shared Instagram, maybe related but not so much overlap where I’m posting the same content.

Moving right along. I did sew up McCall’s 7591 View B. 
I really loved the split. Fairly easy sew, the top is X- Large, grade to Large to  XL at the hips.

Once I sewed the top together, its lined, I realized that it had substantial side gap. I went back through undid the seams, which I would have looked at closer before understitching.. YIKES! And took out about an inch, and I cut off the excess on the pattern for next time.

The bodice does still drape down but I don’t mind it.

Fabric is from Fabric Mart Fabrics  3 yards used
Brown/Purple/Marigold/Multi Poly/Lycra Abstract Leaves Print ITY

Fabric Mart fabric ITY 

McCall’s 7591 Close Up View B

McCall’s 7591 View B

McCall’s 7591 View B split

McCall’s 7591 View B Back View